Women's Foot Care
Our Award-Winning Physicians Can Help Treat & Relieve Your Foot, Heel & Ankle Pain
Although most painful foot conditions can affect people of all ages and genders, some tend to be more common in women than in men. Biology is part of the problem; women’s feet tend to be structured differently from men’s feet, plus they can change even further during pregnancy. The other part is cultural—specifically, shoes. You’ve probably got a closet full of cute shoes. But not every pair might be so good for the long-term health of your feet.
At Waco Foot & Ankle, our doctors specialize in helping women overcome their foot problems so they can go back to living active, busy lives without pain!
Common Foot Problems for Women
Some of the issues we see most frequently are listed below.
- Toe deformities, such as bunions and hammertoes, are much more common in women than in men—about ten times more common, in fact. Footwear certainly plays a role, but so does genetics. Bunions and hammertoes tend to run in families.
- Pain in the balls of the feet. High heels, which concentrate all of your weight on the front of your feet and toes, can be a major culprit. Ball of foot conditions include swollen nerve tissue (neuromas), irritation of the sesamoid bones, and others.
- Collapsed arches. For both men and women, arches tend to flatten and widen with age. However, women who are or have been pregnant are at increased risk. Not only do you carry more weight at this time, but hormonal changes cause joints to loosen as well.
- Heel pain conditions are extremely common among all ages and genders. Athletic overuse, unsupportive footwear, pregnancy, and being overweight can all play a role. The Heart of Texas Heel Pain Center, founded by the Waco Foot & Ankle team, is specially equipped to deal with issues related to women’s heel pain with state-of-the-art treatments and procedures.
- Skin conditions like blisters, corns, and calluses are often the result from walking all day in shoes that don’t fit. Women are also susceptible to dry skin and cracked heels. Finally, sunburn on the tops of feet can be a serious issue for those who love their sandals and flip flops in the summer sun.
Prompt Attention for Women's Feet
At Waco Foot & Ankle, we understand you don’t have time to slow down! Whether you’re experiencing pressure at work, hustling the kids from place to place, running or playing sports, trying to get some walking or shopping in, taking care of the house—or, more likely, trying to do it all at once!—your life is constantly busy. When you add foot pain to the mix, you just can’t do the things you want and need to do anymore (or at least not without being miserable).
An active, happy lifestyle must begin with a firm foundation. Our podiatry team is fully committed to fixing that foundation as quickly, completely, and non-invasively as possible so you don’t have to put your life on hold. Sometimes, the best solution is as simple as banishing your heels and flip flops to the back of the closet and finding shoes that are stylish and practical. In other cases additional care, such as custom orthotics, physical therapy, or surgery, may be warranted.
We’ll always take as much time as needed to talk with you about your condition, understand your needs and goals, go over all your options in detail, and help you select an effective treatment plan that best fits your lifestyle.
One thing to keep in mind—the longer you put off seeing a podiatrist, the greater your risk that a simple problem will become a major one. So don’t keep ignoring your foot pain! Make an appointment with the women’s foot care specialists at Waco Foot & Ankle today! Request an appointment online, or call us at (254) 776-6995.
Contact / Request Appointment
MON - THU | 8:00am - 5:00pm
FRI | 8:00am - 4:00pm
201 Colonnade Parkway, Suite #100
Woodway, TX 76712